This impact evaluation focuses on the following research questions:
1. Does UTZ Certification contribute to increased productivity and quality?
2. Does UTZ Certification contribute to better prices, better market access and to improved income?
3. What is the added value of UTZ certification when embedded within existing interventions?
4. What is the added value of UTZ in sustainable sector transformation?
Summary of findings:
– This evaluation collected highly plausible evidence that the UTZ certification programs contributed to increased productivity and quality (including social and environmental performance).
– Improved practices and higher yields as a result of the programs increased profitability.
– In most cases, the programs also improved market access resulting in higher prices for the farmers.
– Participation in the programs increased farmers’ overall motivation and commitment to cocoa farming.
– The contribution of UTZ certification to the observed improvements differed per case included in this evaluation.
– The main drivers for farmers to continue in the programs were access to training and follow-up support and receiving a lead price.
– There were positive contributions beyond the certified cocoa farms.
The full report + UTZ response to this evaluation are published online.